Wednesday 15 October 2014

Light/colours Deconstruction + Attempt



Horror film lighting effects
  • Green light is commonly used in horror films e.g. Saw
  • The use of green light creates a dirty, grimy effect, which reflects the mise en scene used in the film e.g. dirty settings, rusty weapons/traps and rotten flesh
  • Blue light is quite sterile looking and cold. It reminds me a lot of a surgical kind of film, perhaps like 'Pulse'. It adds a clean and precise feel to the look, could perhaps be used for a 'thriller' kind of film and would not be appropriate for a slasher film
  • Yellow is used in the film 'The Collector', it reminds me a lot of 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. It could be used to reflect the kind of hot, desert environment e.g. Texas, and amplify the hostile conditions they live in.
  • I noticed also in films like 'A Nightmare on Elm Street', the use of a reddish light, reflecting the narrative (Freddy Krueger is burnt alive by the parents of the children, so red is for the flames). 









    My version, using a simple video clip:

Evaluation
  • I really like all the colours, however for our slasher blue will not be appropriate, as it is usually used in more sterile, hospital like films, perhaps The Human Centipede or something of that nature.
  • I like yellow also, but am unconvinced that it will suit our film as much as the red might.
  • I'm not sure if any of the colours should be used on our film, but it wouldn't hurt to play around with the tints when we come to edit.
  • Also, as my clip is just taken in a media lesson, it hardly helps establish the slasher or horror film. I might do this task again when we have some footage to play around with from our actual piece.









No comments:

Post a Comment